To enhance the work of and cooperation between investigators and prosecutors in the fight against migrant smuggling by improving their capability to apply the most up-to-date investigation techniques as well as EU supporting tools and databases.
Investigators and prosecutors specialised on illegal immigration (the number of participants maybe increased from 26 to 38-40 to accommodate more prosecutors in cooperation with EJTN)
Level: practitioner/advanced practitioner
Criminal judges and prosecutors, preferably involved in cross border investigations and prosecutions
General Learning Outcomes - upon completion of the activity the participants will be able to:
1. Describe the modi operandi used for migrant smuggling as well as poly-criminality (e.g. THB, Drugs, Terrorism, Firearms, Hawala banking);
2. Explain the complexity of detecting and investigating migrant smuggling cases including the collection of evidence and building of cases;
3. Apply special investigation techniques and support tools available in large scale investigations (e.g. Eurojust facilitated JITs, analytical support of the European Migrant Smuggling Centre);
4. Describe the EU and international migration and security IT databases (e.g. Siena, SIS II, Eurodac, Interpol SLTD, PNR, API) in relation with investigations related to facilitation of illegal immigration;
5. Cooperate with prosecutors/investigators and with EU and international agencies/services and explain their work/functions in the area of facilitation of illegal immigration;
6. Cooperate at international legal level, in particular with non-EU countries, taking into account legal instruments, policy framework, relevant channels and cooperation tools;
7. Apply investigation techniques in relation to facilitation of illegal immigration in full compliance with fundamental rights.
All applications must be submitted through the candidates' national EJTN member institution.
Upon invitation by EJTN, participants register via EJTN online platform to which they receive access.
After the event, reimbursement is processed via EJTN online platform.
Terms and conditions of participation
Frequently Asked Questions
Number of places:
12 Judges and Prosecutors preferably involved in croos border investigations. All Member States.
New deadline for applications:
24 September 2021